Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Guest Post: Sorella Baer


yup dear friends. judging by the subject title, Sorella Baer's getting transferred! after spending 6 months, a whole third of her mission in Como, she's headed to Pavia! 

(here's what I know about Pavia: it's about 40 minutes outside of Milano, it's a university city, they had 8 baptisms last transfer, and we'll be on bikes! Yes I know. Sorella Baer, on a bike, in the rain, with crazy italian driving, in a skirt-- I can't wait:) I'll have ANOTHER Sorella Carter as my beautiful companion! Right now, I live with two OTHER Sorella Carters. it's crazy, they're overtaking our mission! My new companion's a couple groups below me, and we already love each other! I've met her at zone conferences, and she's darling! stoked!

and yet, anyone who knows me, knows how much I'm absolutely obsessed with my favorite Como. I'm sad to leave my beloved Sorella Brown (she goes home next transfer), all of the members, my dear Nazareno, all of it. I can't quite think about it, or I become sad. This city's carried me through my truly darkest hours, and I've been nearer to heaven here. Goodness, even now, in the internet point, I have tears in my eyes thinking about parting with a place and a people so sacred and precious to me. Como will forever be holy ground for me, as I've stepped into the Garden of Gethsemane here, and tasted of the sweetness of love of the Savior more here than at any other time in my life. I feel inexplicably blessed, so so chosen, to have been here, met the people I have,  and see these sweet Comaschi draw closer to Christ. I truly can't wait to return. The Lord is blessing me with remarkable peace about this whole transfer news. I'm not anxious, nervous, or overly sad. Just... in italian, diciamo, ''tranquilla''--I'm just filled with peace. I know it's right. In fact, teeny miracle: right before the transfer call, our bishop's wife Sorella Delfino called and asked me if I knew yet where I was going. I said no. Then I got the call. Best part? the Delfino's, a young couple, who are some of my favorite members, are BOTH from Pavia! both of their families are there! I immediately called her back, and said, ''Sorella!!!! Vado a Pavia!!'' she was so excited! she told me that if it was ok now that I leave, since I'll be with her family who she visits often! life is good folks. truly. 

Nazareno came back from the temple and was beaming. Saying good-bye to him was so hard. I'm seen him from the ground up. Oh goodness, I can't think about this. I can only cry so much in this little internet point. Just know that with him, the Lord's taught me so much about the Atonement. 

ughhhh... I'm all over the place. I can't quite believe I'm going! after so long! saying good-bye to members has been killing me, but the beautiful part is that, this isn't ''arrivederci'', just ''ci vediamo''

Spiritual Insight: this one's for all of the fellow missionaries out there. 

This came to me as we sang a hymn in Italian ''Siam la real armata'' (Behold the Royal Army). Us missionaries are truly His missionaries. He's saved and called us for this time becasue He's not looking for indifferent, apathetic, or passive soldiers. We're here to ACT. This is a gospel of activity, not of passivity.

Each of us enlisted in this battalion by CHOICE. We weren't drafted. We chose. We enlisted OURSELVES. 

Every morning we suit up. We grab our armor: our name tag (not only shows who we are but endows and equips us with the mantle and authority of our calling). Our weapon: our Book of Mormon and testimony. We head out everyday, ready to defend His name. As we put on our nametag every day, we're saying to our King, ''I will.'' Everyday, putting on that tag, we recommit. We've chosen. We've suited up. Now it's time to protect and arm ourselves and then go forward boldly. 

We are as the army of Helaman, where it says in Alma 56:46, ''Let us go forth.''

I hope each of you know that I have chosen. My dye has been cast. I've stepped over the line. I will never look back. I have said to my Creator, ''I will.'' And I will boldly go forth and represent Him and stand in His place.

Let us remember our calling.

I feel so privileged to be one of His soldiers at this time.

Con tutto del mio amore,
Sorella Baer

p.s. I love you. 
p.p.s. this picture is of my beautiful Como TODAY. goodness, it's breathtaking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment