Friday, November 15, 2013

Thoughts on roller coasters....

Day 31
I've always been one for theme parks. Disneyworld is the best place on earth. Universal Studios, Six Flags and Lagoon all satisfy my thrill seeking addiction. As soon as we get to one of the parks, I sprint my gosh dang hardest to the biggest roller coaster, anxious to feel the rush of adrenaline that comes as my car makes that initial descent, arms flailing, screaming at the top of my lungs.

I love accepting the challenge of the steep drops, the whip-lashing turns and the cheek-flapping speed. I have a "bring it on" attitude. I can do hard things. 

As I reflect on this experience it HAS been a roller coaster of sorts. My arms aren't up in the air...rather in my pockets. My fingers aren't white knuckled on the restraint grips, but tightly holding my Dad's hand. I'm not screaming either, I'm actually quite silent. We all are. 

The only thing that hasn't changed is our attitude. We can do hard things. Giving up, curling into a ball or whining just isn't an option. We take things as they come. Those sharp game-changing turns, the fast paced rise and fall of events....all of it, we just have to face. Papa Baer is facing all of it. He is trucking his way through this, why shouldn't we? 

He accepts the news and the trials as they come. When he coughs, he closes his eyes and makes his way through it. He's incredible. I can't imagine a better man to take on such a tough task. He's risen to the challenge. 

He will be getting his permanent pacemaker tomorrow morning. He hasn't gotten a new trach yet, they want to go a little slower with that. If all goes well, he'll be back at the other hospital by Monday. 

Thank you for keeping an eye on him, your prayers help.

With love, and a great big Baer hug,

The Baers

1 comment:

  1. We were lucky enough to meet Papa Baer when we became fast friends with Devin and Brittni. I have to say that instantly I was drawn to him. He is warm, welcoming, kind, and loving. He has a power about him that is indescribable. Immediately you respect him and look up to him and love him.
    We will definitely keep Papa Baer in our prayers. He is so loved!

    ReplyDelete